Welcome to Day 8 of the Minimize Yo’ Butt 6-Week Fitness Challenge
Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants. – Michael Pollan
This quote makes eating simple pretty straightforward. Whatever type of eating plan works best for you, whether it’s low-carb, slow-carb, vegetarian, or Paleo, it’s always best to keep it simple.
The two main steps to Minimize Yo’ Butt are:
- Eat better.
- Move more.
Let’s focus on the “Eat Better” part today.
7 Quick Tips for Eating Better:
- Become aware of what you’re currently eating. Have you read any food labels lately or kept track of all the junk you’re buying at the grocery store? Knowledge is power and simple awareness is a huge
- Make one healthy change today. Looking down the road at those goals you set for yourself can be overwhelming. Just start with one little change and pretty soon it will feel like your new normal way of life.
- Eat less. Shockingly simple but still often overlooked. Serve yourself smaller portions and don’t force yourself to finish what’s on your plate. We really don’t need as much food as we think we do.
- Keep a food journal. It’s much easier to think you’re eating healthy when you lose track of what you’re actually eating. Try tracking you food for one week and you’ll be amazed (and hopefully motivated for change).
- Make simple food choices.It seems like everything in life is complicated these days. If I can’t keep my eating simple, then I know it’s not going to stick. Choosing simple menus and snacks with easy preparation really help.
- Get inspired and commit to making a change. Think about your motivation for taking care of yourself. Focus on your “why” motivation and cling to it as you move forward.
- Build yourself a support system. Doing this challenge publicly here and on the Facebook page has made a huge different for me. I typically fizzle out when I get tired but the motivation and encouragement of others has really kept me going with this challenge. Find someone who will keep you accountable and encouraged and work your plan together.
Personal MYB Update
This is the start of week 2 for Minimize Yo’ Butt. In the future, I’ll be doing weekly wrap-ups on Friday.
After the first full week of Minimize Yo’ Butt, I’m down 1.8 pounds . . . but I’m totally gonna round that up to 2 pounds lost! I had hoped to make a bigger dent in the first week, but I’m still happy with the direction I’m headed.
The five adults in the house have been switching over to the Paleo diet. (I’ll be talking more about our experiences with that in a couple weeks). Most of the kids are still at camp so we’ll slowly transition their snacks when they get back.
I was really surprised how full I felt and didn’t cheat once during the week last week. We did have a birthday party this weekend at my brother’s house and there was sugar and carbs everywhere I turned. I did better than I thought I would do.
I didn’t get as much exercise as I originally planned but it was still 100% more than I’d been doing. I did walks on the elliptical and the treadmill along with using some hand weights. I wish I had a beach to walk on like Tanja, because I don’t anticipate many outside walks in this Georgia heat and humidity.
In retrospect I picked my busiest month to start this challenge. However, I’m still feeling great about making the much needed lifestyle changes to a better diet and more exercise. That’s another reason that I’m thankful to everyone participating here and on the Facebook page. It would be far too easy to say I’m too busy right now, but you all give me a reason to keep going. Thank you for that.
Sneak Peak for the Rest of MYB
I thought it would be a good idea to let you know what’s planned for the rest of the 6-week challenge. Here are the topics we’ll be covering.
Week 2: Focus on Eating Healthy
Week 3: Move Yo’ Butt Week
Week 4: Exploring the Paleo Lifestyle
Week 5: Exploring the Vegetarian Lifestyle
Week 6: Creating & Maintaining Healthy Habits
If you have any questions or specific topics you’d like to learn more about, please let me know in the comments or through my contact page. I’m actually having a great time researching and planning the topics here so don’t hesitate to ask.
It’s not too late to start minimizing your butt and getting healthy! If you missed out on the first week of the challenge, you can go to the Minimize Yo’ Butt page and see all the posts listed for you. If you’ve already been doing the challenge, I’d love to hear how your progress is going.
If you enjoyed this post, please consider signing up for updates or follow me on Twitter. The only way my blog reaches more people is if you Tweet it, Like it on Facebook, or share it with your friends. Thanks so much for reading!