Socks and underwear are typically missing from those popular lists that include the 50 or 100 things that radical minimalists live with. Maybe they’ve decided they are unnecessary in life. I suppose going commando everyday could bring a certain sense of freedom.
In reality, socks and underwear are simply an unglamorous necessity. We just like to ignore their existence. However, if left unchecked, the quantity of these undergarments can clog up drawers and overwhelm the laundry pile. If you’ve got a pretty good handle on the situation, then I applaud you. You might want to share your advice in the comment section. For the rest of us, let’s explore it a little more.
Raise your hand if any of the following statements are true at your house:
- Your sock drawer is crammed so full it’s hard to close.
- Your husband has so many similar socks he has a hard time finding the right color he needs.
- You can’t remember how old your bras are.
- Your kids have socks full of holes but they still end up back in their drawer.
- You keep panty hose with runs in them just in case of emergencies.
- You keep stretched out or faded socks in your drawer in case you need extra socks.
- You keep favorite underwear even if they no longer fit.
- You would be horrified if anyone saw the cluttered contents of your underwear drawer.
Ok, so maybe those things just happen at my house. Confession time… I recently threw out a bunch of bras that I was holding onto for months that didn’t fit. I kept thinking I would lose enough weight that they would fit again. I finally decided if that happens I will reward myself with some new pretty bras. I also threw out a bunch of old socks that were just my standby socks. I didn’t really like them, but I saved them anyway “just in case.” If I go through enough socks that I need a standby set, then it is time to do some laundry!
The solution is pretty straightforward. Like so many other things, it’s just too easy to overlook something like decluttering our socks and underwear. To help me with the process, I use a simple list of questions to evaluate what I have.
- Do I really wear these?
- Is it still in good shape?
- Are they the right size?
- Do I have more than I need for one week?
- Can I make do with less?
No one’s going to come behind you and count your underwear, or maybe you’d just prefer to go commando. It doesn’t take long to clear out your socks and underwear drawers, but I guarantee it’ll feel great either way.